A Washi Tape Pinterest Attempt

  

So it seems like every time I log onto Facebook I see Washi tape.   So what is Washi tape?  It is defined in this article from She Knows Living:

Often called wasabi tape by mistake, washi tape does originate from Japan, so we can see how the two terms are easily confused! But, washi tape has nothing to do with the spicy condiment that you eat with your sushi. The best way we can describe washi tape is that it feels like masking tape — very, very pretty masking tape. It's made of paper, but is not as delicate as you would expect. Plus, it comes in patterns and designs that will make even the most dedicated crafters swoon and varying widths to allow you to create some fun and intricate washi tape designs.

Washi tape is typically made from natural fibers, such as bamboo or hemp, but most commonly from the bark of trees that are native to Japan — the mulberry, the mitsumata shrub or the gampi tree. Most washi tapes are strong (as strong as duct tape in some cases!) and functional as well as pretty, making them wonderful for both everyday and decorative use.

I decided it was time I find an inspiration pin and try to copy it.

Sarah Ryan from Life in Ryans posted this DIY Washi frame with a tutorial.

I love how hers turned out so I searched my house for a frame I could use and I found this hideous one.  It is at least 20 years old and has somehow followed me every time I have moved.

 
 I took the frame apart and grabbed my first roll of Washi tape.  I bought these fun little birds at the Hobby Lobby.





I was fortunate that the tutorial had really detailed directions.  The only downside was that there was a lot of wasted tape after the middle of the frame was cut out.




 It isn't my best effort but it does look better than the really old, shiny, metallic frame that it was before.

If you would like to jump into the Washi tape arena, you can find some ideas on my Washi tape Pinterest Board.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy. Great job! Glad you like my original frame :-) I actually used some of the left over tape for a different project so you could try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for using our photo! We ship international. You can find our whole range of Washi Tape at http://shop.nauli.de

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS