An Open Letter to those that Vilify Formula Feeding
This is a post for all those breast feeding "advocates" that turn anything and everything thing they see on Facebook into a pro-breast feeding rant. Just remember this before you shout "breast is best" from the roof tops:
1. There is this thing called genetics. Your baby may be happy and healthy just because it has good genes.
2. *Gasp* There are Olympic athletes that were formula fed.
3. Chunkier baby does not always mean breast fed baby.
4. Just because a baby is formula fed it doesn't mean they are doomed to a life full of ear infections. You better sit down for this one, My formula fed daughter has NEVER had an ear infection. She is 8 years old.
5. There are no special diplomas at high school graduation for the kids that drank mother's milk.
6. When your kid gets to college, there will not be a separate dorm for the breast fed kids. They will (take a deep breath) be mixed in the dorm with the formula fed kids.
7. I am going to guarantee that when your child goes on a job interview, the boss is not going to ask your child if he or she was breast fed.
8. Formula fed babies can bond with their mothers too. It is this new thing called LOVE.
9. My mother breast fed me exclusively for the first year. I still got cancer. Breast milk is not a miracle cure!
10. The mom who formula feeds her child is not evil. She is FEEDING her child.
Just to be crystal clear...
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with choosing to breast feed.
I am saying that it is wrong to vilify the mother's who formula feed their babies. Just remember that feeding a baby is just that- feeding a baby.
Let's just try and feed our children and not try and convert anyone else to our "team." Try and remember that moms have feelings too. So the next time you post your pro-breastfeeding Facebook status or blog post, try and think about whether or not it is helpful or hurtful.
Disclaimer: I formula fed all three of my children.